March 25, 2013

March Typewriter Tag

March has somehow gotten away from me, so I'm just now finishing this month's tag for the Vintage Typewriter. 

Now, Spring may be coming (or even have arrived) where you live, but that's not the case in the upper Midwest.  It was snowing yesterday, although thankfully there was no accumulation.  So I was hard pressed to use pastel, "springy" colors and blooming flowers - hopefully that will come next month.  Instead I tried to do something that showed the blustery conditions that have been the norm for most of the month.

I started by using some of the new Tim Holtz Distress Paints (Bundled Sage, Mowed Lawn, Picket Fence, Peeled Paint) on the background.  I then ran it through my Big Shot using Cuttlebug Musical Flourish which created what looked like windy gusts to me.  I emphasized the embossing with some Distress Inks (Stormy Sky, Chipped Sapphire). 

I have to admit I was pretty stumped for what to put on this tag that would say my impression of "March".  My niece was working on her March page for an album using Graphic 45 Place In Time paper and I noticed a saying on one of the border strips..."No matter how long the Winter, Spring is sure to follow".  That proverb felt right, so I put it on a Kaisercraft Timeless journaling tag with a brad from the Basic Grey Serenade collection.  I had some JoAnn Essentials letter brads so I found M-A-R-C-H and attached them to some tiny tags from the Tim Holtz die.  I used ribbon to attach those to a larger piece of paper.

I was glancing through the new Tim Holtz 8x8 Paper Stash pad and came on a page of clocks and thought, why not use one of them and something about the change to Daylight Savings time?  So I cut one out, added some Glossy Accents (not too smoothly as it turned out, but oh well) and some Game Spinners and then mounted it on black chipboard.  I stuck another little Kaisercraft tag behind the clock.  Since I don't have any letter stickers, I printed out "SPRING FORWARD" on my printer using white letters with a dark teal background, and made them into stickers with some double-sided tape.

Remember, the Vintage Typewriter is one of Kathy at Paper Phenomenon's projects - the tutorial is available on her web page.  It's a fantastic project.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The clock is so distinctive and I love the fluffy yarns. But I really like the choice of colors - yes they are pastels, but the blustery blue and yellow matches March exactly. Windy and chill, but the forsythia bush is starting to bloom. All the elements beautifully combined.

JustMyThoughts said...

Couldn't have said it better... "all the elements beautifully combined." NICE!