April 1, 2013

Unique Individuals Accordion Book

Every Wednesday, Barb from Joggles.com creates a "Mid-Week Muse".  Last Wednesday she made an ATC size accordion book with lots of mixed media techniques (see her video here).  I thought it looked like a fun project and so here's my version.

Unique Individuals Accordion Book - Open

Barb's version was ATC sized (Artist Trading Card - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2") but I made this book larger to accommodate some larger stamps.  Each of the colored panels in my version is 3" x 4 1/4".  I experimented with several of the techniques in the video.  

Backgrounds
Front Cover and Page One
The first layer was Picket Fence Distress Paint with some Dylusions sprays mixed in (London Blue & Fresh Lime).  If you haven't tried this combination of media, it's a lot of fun and the results are pretty neat.  I then did some stenciling with Perfect Medium and Perfect Pearls using several Crafter's Workshop stencils (Mini Cubist, Harlequin & Circle Explosion).  I did some stamping with several of Tim Holtz' School Desk stamps and Kaisercraft's Grid background stamp.

Page Two and Three
The black die cut images were added after I had all the images colored and was testing them out - the background just needed something to tie the black of the accordion book and the image backing paper all together.  So I decided on some diecuts and used three by Memory Box - Chloe Stem, Grove Branch & Star of Wonder.  I also cut out a few freehand circles and strips.The cover backgrounds were done using the same techniques, just different colors. 
Page Four and Five
The Dylusions sprays were Lemon Zest, Pure Sunshine, Squeezed Orange and Postbox Red. The Perfect Pearls were stenciled on using Crafter's Workshop stencils Branches and Branches Reversed.

Images
The tickets are rubber stamps from Invoke Arts.  All of the other images are Zettiology rubber stamps.  The images were colored with Derwent Inktense.  I like to use the blocks, but keep them in the container and use a water brush to pick up colors, much as if the blocks were a palette of colors.  Yes, they are pretty brightly colored, but I'm ok with that.

Page Six and Back Cover
Assembly
The accordion strip is three pieces of black cardstock joined together to get the length needed.  I decided to have a 1/8" reveal of black, so each accordion panel is 3 1/4" x 4 1/2".  I also added a 1/8" gusset to the inside folds to allow for the thickness of the elements on each page.

Closed Book





Covers
The covers are two layers of black chipboard; the top piece has a cutout made from the middle size arch from Tim Holtz' Movers and Shapers Sized Arches.  I dyed a piece of ribbon using Mowed Lawn and Salty Ocean Distress Stains.


Ribbon Detail
Closure
I added two images to the ribbon (backed with chipboard) so that when the ribbon is tied around the book the covers would have decorative elements.

Both ends of the ribbon come off the right side of the back cover.  The longer piece wraps around the front and then ties to the shorter end on the left side.  I did this so the ribbon ends can be hidden behind the book when it is open for display. 

1 comment:

JustMyThoughts said...

I love this. Colors are awesome.