December 8, 2014

Reflections of Christmas - Day One

Ever since last year I have wanted to participate in the Funkie Junkie's 12 Tags of Christmas challenge.  I'm getting kind of a late start, so I'm not sure I will get all 12 done, but at least I will have fun trying!

If you are a mixed media artist or paper crafter I hope you already know about the Funkie Junkie blog and boutique.  Linda Coughlin always has cool ideas on her blog, and her shop and customer service are outstanding.

The challenge is to make something inspired by each of the 12 tags that Linda has created. It can be anything you want as long as it is Christmas/Winter related.  I'm making a set of Artist Trading Cards (ATC) in little frames instead of tags.  Since ATCs are only 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"they have a lot less real estate then the tags Linda used, so I can't include all the wonderful ideas she used, but I'll be able to include several for each card.

Inspirations from Linda's tag:  I used the same background, included a Santa and reindeer, the same sentiment, a music tag and the 25,

Each of my ATCs is in a frame - it's about 5/8" thick, stands a little over 7" tall and is made out of medium weight chipboard.  My plan is to link them together to make an accordion display.

Frame
  • Trim:  Bo Bunny Woodland Winter
  • Back Panel: Tim Holtz Holiday Knit stencil (I used Antique Linen Distress Paint to stencil which formed a resist for inking ontop)
  • Decorative Cutout ”25”:  Tim Holtz Die
  • Reflection “merry”:  Printed in MS Word, Segoe Print Font
  • Pediment:  Tim Holtz Pediment die
  • Metal Sentiment:  Tim Holtz Christmas Word Band


Here's a closeup of the Artist Trading Card.  It hangs from a hook under the pediment,

ATC:
  • Background: Stamped Snowflake from Tattered Angels Chillin’ set
  • Santa and Reindeer:  Cheery Lynn Die
  • December 25:  Bo Bunny Elf Magic Brad
  • Small Tag:  Bo Bunny Woodland Winter
    • Stamped Sentiment:  Bo Bunny Holiday Wishes
    • Tim Holtz Paper Twine


Please visit Linda's blog to see the inspiration for my project, and of course go shopping at the Boutique!

2 comments:

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Hi April,

I'm so delighted to have you joining in the fun with me for this year's 12 Tags of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style! I love your idea of the framed ATCs and making them into an accordion. Your first one is terrific! Beautiful background stenciling and just wonderful embellishments. What a great way to start. Thanks again for playing along. Hope you will be able to make it all the way through!

Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that came out so well. All the 3d effects are so cool (I partcularly like the pediment). Oh and the stamp and the background notes on the hanging card and the straw tie. I am a big fan of teal so all the teal elements connecting everything immediately drew my eyes especially in contrast to the oranges. So fun.