October 24, 2015

Retching Toad Eatery - A Project from the Artfully Musing 2015 Halloween Event

Hello everyone!

I'm back with my next building in the Haunted Village.  This is another of Laura Carson's designs (Artfully Musing) in her 2015 Halloween Event.  The badge for the event is over in the right side column, but here's a direct link to the first of several postings for the event.

This building is the Retching Toad Eatery (don't you love all the fun names?!).

Here is the front of the Eatery. I've flipped the facade so the door is on the right.

This building again started out as a flat chipboard house shape.  I made separate pieces for both the window units that have chipboard sides and separate little chipboard roofs.  The base window strands out about an inch, and the top window abut 1/2". The triangular section above the door is also a separate piece.  The roof above the main window slants out and is notched around the other parts.


The shutters were made separately and then attached to the window frames.

For the tree, I used a technique that Laura demonstrated of adding bits of colored foam to make the leaves.

I love the image for the inside of the front window that shows skeletons enjoying a meal!

Here's a closeup of the front entrance.

The menu selections on the display board sure sound appetizing, don't they?


Now onto the inside...

Most of these items are the same, or similar to Laura's version.















In my version of the fireplace, I have some depth to the firebox.  It's a little over an inch deep.

I've suspended a cauldron from some chains, and created two layers of fire (backed with chipboard), so the pot looks like it is in the middle of the flames.
The table is about 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" and made from chipboard.

On the table, I made a plate of some of the "pickled eyeballs".  I used some pearls I had in my bead stash and painted a black iris on each one.

The bowl of skull soup is a little wooden bowl with more of the colorized foam surrounding a little skull.

The pitcher and the bat plate on the wall are digital images from the set Laura created for this building.

I made the jar for the eyeballs from a piece of bubble tea straw capped with a small wood piece.



Above the table is a small shelf with a bottle and then a small skeleton perched on the corner.
The bottom of this photo shows the top of the fireplace mantel.  I used several of the digital images and then for the worms I dyed some cotton string orange, added some glue to give it body, and then twisted it around to hopefully give the look of "worms". The chandelier is another digital image.  I backed it with chipboard and suspended it from the top shelf. The top shelf closely resembles Laura's version.  I also hung some "zombie beads" like she had done.
Most of the little doodads came from alphastamps.com.




I again made this building so that all the pieces and parts come apart.

The table has a hidden space underneath to store the legs.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my version of the Retching Toad Eatery.  Hop on over to Laura's blog (ArtfullyMusing.blogspot.com) and get the details for this and all the other parts of the Haunted Village and join in the creative fun!  And while you're there, make sure to leave Laura kudos for this fantastic project!

I'll be back in a few days when I finish the next building... Cadaver & Diggers Undertakers.

Thanks for visiting, and until then - happy crafting, and of course, Happy Halloween!!

No comments: