November 15, 2016

Winter Village - Building Two

Hello everyone!

I'm back with Building #2 in my Winter themed village that I am decorating to play along with the Fifth Annual 12 Tags of Christmas - Funkie Junkie Style challenge.

The challenge in a nutshell:  each week, starting in September, Linda Coughlin (aka the Funkie Junkie) presents a new tag on her blog, TheFunkieJunkie.blogspot.com.  The challenge is to make something (anything!) inspired by each one of the 12 tags.

Instead of "tags", I'm making the "12 Buildings of Christmas".


Here are the details on Building # 2 ...

Inspirations from Linda's Week 2 Tag: Trees, Sentiment, Deer
Blank Canvas Building:  Building J

Building J is one of the smallest buildings in the village.  The walls are 4" high and all are only 2" wide.  Only the front wall and a little of one of the side walls will show.


I started out by cutting some decorative paper to use as the background and inked the edges with a little Antique Linen Distress Ink.

The paper is Yvonne Creations Holly Jolly Christmas.  Although many of my buildings will be more blue-white-silver, I thought I'd mix in a little light gold as well for a little contrast.




I wanted to try a crackle paste for the trees so I used Prima Platinum Crackle and the Tim Holtz Mini Stencil called "Woodland".

I did the stenciling on heavy white cardstock.












After the crackle dried I cut out each tree leaving just a little white edge.

I used some gloss gel to seal the crackle  and add some shine,

Since I have so little space on these small walls I'm just using these three trees.







Next I cut some hillsides from a pearl paper and white cardstock.  I added some shine to the white cardstock with Wink of Stella brush pen.

On the left is the back of the hillsides - I'm popping them up in the center only, the side edges will be glued directly to the background.





Here are the hills and trees in place, and the four wall panels ready to go on the building.

I've also added a TH Metallic Sticker Label with one of his rub-ons.


I thought the top looked a little plain so I wrapped some thin beige string around the top and added a couple of tiny bells.

The bells are on a separate string and attached with a Lark's Head knot.

The string is only glued on the back side so that it can be adjusted up or down depending on what looks good with the roof overhang.



It is important to keep the decorations as flat as possible on any side of the building that abuts another building.

I made sure to not get the string crossed and attached the two ends with glue and a small piece of Tyvek on one of the hidden sides.

 No knots allowed.




And here's where this building fits into the village.

Once the village gets put together and on its base, I'll attach the little deer, which you may be able to see standing just in front of the building. I'll also do a little more to the stoop in that corner as well.

Remember, the roofs you see in these photos are just temporary. The final roofs for all the buildings in the village won't be added until all of the buildings have been decorated and the village is glued together.

So that's building #2 done and I'll post a link on the challenge page.

If you'd like to see the inspiration for my building, see Linda's blog post - 12 Tags of Christmas - Tag #2.  And check out all the great stuff at the boutique...


Stay tuned as I continue to finish the remaining buildings in the village over the next weeks.

If you want to know more about construction of the Blank Canvas Village, just see the post on November 12, 2016 which describes the process and has links to an overview and construction video series on my YouTube channel.

Thanks for visiting!
April


3 comments:

LindaFS said...

Golden Christmas colors and bells and the precious golden siver fawn. Makes you feel Christmassy already, which is always so cheering. And although I'm sure unintentional, the "snowy" whte roof. The wonder and softness floats in. LindaFS

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Love how you cut out your stenciled trees, April. The crackle is wonderful and the soft gold background looks beautiful next to its neighboring blue building. The pretty pearly sheen on the snowy rooftop is just perfect. I'm really loving your building project!

Hugs,
Linda

Words and Pictures said...

Lovely crackled trees, and the gentle golden colour tone is really pretty.
Alison x